Sports are a dominant element of American culture. From grade school participation to the pros, sports are more visible and a part of our society than at any other time in our countries history.
Participation is youth sports open the door for many lessons that make up the classroom of life. Individual and team values are positive products of youth sports. Youth that use sports for this purpose will develop a foundation and perspective that will serve them well in years to come.
Here are 25 benefits and values of youth sports:
1. Sports are a great way to learn life lessons.
2. Gain self-esteem and confidence.
3. Develop physical and motor skills.
4. Promote a healthy and physically fit lifestyle.
5. Builds a foundation for future learning, growing, and success.
6. Teachers balance for life on and off the field.
7. Increases personal development such as focusing on a task, being on time, listening, responsibility, and trying your best.
8. Helps discover self-identity and visualize potential.
9. Experience being part of a team and its dynamics.
10. Develop good work habits.
11. Learn to win graciously.
12. Learn to lose respectfully.
13. Learn to keep winning and losing in perspective.
14. Discover the balance between self and emotions.
15. Learn perspective through competition.
16. Initiate and strengthen friendships and learn social skills.
17. Increase your ability to learn and focus on an activity.
18. Develop temperament.
19. Experience pain and injury and how to work through it.
20. Learn to take coaching and handle constructive criticism.
21. Serve as role model to other youth.
22. Enhance academic progress and commitment.
23. Learn to help the team by playing a role.
24. Encourage a positive attitude through hand work and praise.
25. Recognize that sports go far beyond the final score.